It’s no surprise that I love celebrating a new year. I love the feeling of wiping a slate clean and having a new year just begin. I love setting goals for myself and my family. I love reflecting on the highs and lows of the year before. Without fail, I will cry, at least once, to “Auld Lang Syne” and Frank Sinatra’s “New York New York.” I may have fallen asleep before the ball dropped this year, but you bet I recreated it the next day thanks to YouTube having “New Year’s Rocking Eve” available.
One of my new traditions has been buying a day-to-day calendar for my desk at work. I used to have a comical one, but over the last couple of years I switched to inspirational calendars. I look forward to seeing what the calendars say each day and what message I can take from it. 2018’s calendar is Dalai Lama themed, with a message each day from his Holiness.
Let’s face it, I love words and language. I’m sentimental and even though I can come across as acidic, it’s protecting my optimism. It was only appropriate to name this blog post “Logophile,” as you should understand in reading my blog by now but also in honor of my love for words and language.
Image from this site.
So last year’s calendar (2017) was an inspirational quote calendar (called “Inspire, 2017 daily desktop calendar”). I figured it would be neat to see what quotes meant enough for me to save them throughout the year. Enjoy:
- “Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life – think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of all that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success.” Swami Vivekananda
- “Whenever you see a successful person you only see the public glories, never the private sacrifices to reach them.” Vaibhav Shah
- “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
- “If you’re going through hell keep going.” Winston Churchill
- “Your problem isn’t the problem. Your reaction is the problem.” Anonymous
- “When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.” Audre Lorde
- “You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.” Steve Jobs
- “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by the people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no help at all.” Dale Carnegie
- “Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes but don’t quit.” Conrad Hilton
- “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.” Mark Twain
- “The surest way not to fail is to determine to succeed.” Richard B. Sheridan
- “Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- “Sometimes you just got to give yourself what you wish someone else would give you.” Dr. Phil
- “It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most responsive to change.” Charles Darwin
- “Everything that is done in the world is done by hope.” Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou
- “Good, better, best. Never let it rest. ‘Til your good is better and your better is best.” St. Jerome
- “Happiness cannot he traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.” Denis Waitley
- “What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?” Robert Schuller
- “You never regret being kind.” Nicole Shepherd
- “In our daily lives, we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but the gratefulness that makes us happy.” Albert Clarke
- “Wisdom equals knowledge plus courage. You have to not only know what to do and when to do it, but you have to also be brave enough to follow through.” Jarod Kintz
- “Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it.” Henry David Thoreau
- “Don’t blow off another’s candle for it won’t make yours shine brighter.” Jaachynma N.E. Agu
- “Keep your eyes open and try to catch people in your company doing something right, then praise them for it.” Tom Hopkins
- “Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” Barack Obama
- “The best revenge is massive success.” Frank Sinatra
I hope you’re having a wonderful 2018 so far and hope that something stood out to you to carry into this year.